BestCreditCards.sg's Review of The American Express® Platinum Credit Card
|Highlights||Credit Card Feature|
|Things We Like||50% dining savings at a plethora of restaurants|
|Our Least Favourite||High annual fee|
|Our Verdict||Great card if you travel, golf or dine out often|
- Love Dining @ Hotels offers you Savings of up to 50%* on food bills for unlimited visits at selected 5 star hotels around Singapore.
- Enjoy Love Dining @ Restaurants privileges which offers up to 50% savings of food orders at a handpicked selection of popular restaurants.
- Enjoy exclusive access to some of Singapore's top-notch members-only clubs and invitation-only events
- Over S$900* worth of spa vouchers from Adeva Spa, Spa Rael and The Ultimate
- Enjoy up to 40% off a la carte spa services at Adeva Spa and The Ultimate
- Platinum Golf privileges: Enjoy complimentary green fees* with a paying companion on weekdays, and two paying companions on weekends at premier golf and country clubs across Singapore, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Enjoy 1-for-1 and complimentary drinks at a dozen other nightspots in Singapore.
- With 90-days return guarantee*, even if the store does not accept, you can return almost any purchase made in Singapore for a refund up to S$800 per item.
- 90-days purchase protection* automatically insures your purchases against accidental damage or theft, up to S$10,000 per incidence of theft of damage.
- Earn a total of 20 Membership Rewards points* for every S$1.60 spent, up to a maximum spend of S$16,000. For all spend in excess of S$16,000, you continue to enjoy a total of 10 Membership Rewards points for every S$1.60 charged to your Card.
- Points do not expire.
- Platinum Credit Card Members enjoy auto-enrolment with the Frequent Traveller Option, and a waiver* of S$40 enrolment fees. With this, you can redeem your points with over 40 of the world's renowned airlines and enjoy the biggest hotel programme that covers thousands of prestigious hotels worldwide.
- Enjoy permanent waiver of the miles transfer fee (worth S$40) with the American Express Platinum Credit Card. With this, you can redeem your points for Frequent Flyer Miles from Airline Partners like Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, Emirates Skywards, Singapore KrisFlyer and more.
- Receive 12,000 Membership Rewards® points when you successfully refer a friend. Your friend receives 12,000 Membership Rewards® points upon spend of S$2,000 in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Visit amex.co/referfriends for more details.
- Intro Interest p.a.
- Annual Fee
- Minimum Income
S$80,000 p.a. for Singapore Citizens and Residents
- Standard Interest p.a.
The American Express® Platinum Credit Card comes loaded with great dining perks, travel benefits and a decent rewards programme. But behind all of those tempting sign-up offers, high rewards on spending and fantastic deals on restaurant dining, there is a $321 annual fee. Is it worth it? Let's dive deep into the world of credit card benefits and hidden costs and see for ourselves what The American Express® Platinum Credit Card gives you in exchange for that somewhat high annual fee in this Amex Platinum card review.
Things We Like About The American Express® Platinum Credit Card
Platinum Dining. American Express says you can receive up to 50% savings at more than 60 restaurants islandwide. Let's take a closer look. The Platinum Dining privileges are really made up of two external programmes and two American Express programmes, and between them they offer more dining privileges than I've seen on any card I have reviewed so far:
- Love Dining Programme: Love Dining @ Restaurants gives you discounts of up to 50% you can get these discounts at a handpicked selection of popular restaurants in Singapore, which currently include culinary hotspots like Mad For Garlic, Lawry's The Prime Rib, The Marmalade Pantry, Portico Prime, Senso Ristorante & Bar, TWG Tea and many more. Love Dining @ Hotels offers privileges with up to 50% savings when dining at some of Singapore's finest hotels.
- American Express Selects. As well as letting you get special deals on shopping and travel, this programme from Amex is always well stocked with special offers, deals and discounts at a nice variety of restaurants.
- The American Express Global Dining Programme will make sure you don't go without great food, even when you travel outside of Singapore. Enjoy special free offers and discounts at select local restaurants as well as at restaurants in over 30 countries worldwide.
All things considered, I think The American Express® Platinum Credit Card definitely delivers on its dining promises.
Platinum Golf. If you love playing golf as much as you love gourmet food, this will be another reason to get this card. The American Express® Platinum Credit Card lets you and any supplementary card holders enjoy complimentary green fees at over 40 clubs in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines.
Earn 2 points for every $1.60 spent. I'll be the first to agree that Amex could have used a round number, but since it gives you 1 point for every 80 cents spending, I certainly won't complain.
Earn 10 points for each $1.60 you spend at Platinum EXTRA Partners. These partners change from time to time, but in 2015 they include stores like Breitling boutiques, EpiLife, Infinity Auto Sales and The Hour Glass. Dining partners include restaurants like Tung Lok Seafood, Tung Lok Signatures, the Pump Room, Senso Ristorante & Bar and many more. No problem earning points fast with this card if you enjoy shopping and eating at restaurants.
Points do not expire. Now isn't this refreshing? No need to try to earn enough points to redeem for something you actually want before they expire. Most other cards come with rewards that expire in 1 to 5 years after you earn them. With The American Express® Platinum Credit Card, you can save up your points as long as you want, as they do not expire!
Redeem rewards for things you want, or for travel, dining or other experiences. There are over 200 rewards to choose from on the Amex membership rewards catalogue. You can also redeem your points for miles because as a holder of The American Express® Platinum Credit Card, you are automatically enrolled in the frequent traveller option (the $40 enrollment fee is waived). Redeem your points for frequent flyer miles on Singapore Airlines or many other large airlines worldwide. Points can also be redeemed for stays at hundreds of hotels around the world.
Travel accident insurance. Enjoy peace of mind with travel accident coverage when you charge your travel bookings to this card.
American Express Global AssistTM. Contact American Express for help anytime you have trouble using your card, or if your card is lost or stolen.
Platinum Wellness. Enjoy savings of up to 40% for à la carte spa services at The Ultimate and Adeva Spa. You also get vouchers for both of those popular spas. There are spa vouchers you can enjoy, too.
Chillax programme entitles you to complimentary cocktails and other perks at some of the best local bars around Singapore. Keep in mind offers change from time to time.
Our Least Favourite Things About The American Express® Platinum Credit Card
$321 annual fee. From the start you will have to pay a $321 annual fee.
Above average income requirements. You will need to earn $80,000 or more per year to be eligible for this amazing card. If you meet this requirement, there's really no reason why you shouldn't get this card!
How Other Cards Compare With The American Express® Platinum Credit Card
|Regular APR:||26.90% p.a.|
|Regular APR:||24.99% p.a.|
|Annual Fee:||S$53.50 (inclusive of GST)|
The American Express® Platinum Credit Card is all about enjoyment. It gives you more dining privileges (both in and out of Singapore) than other credit cards and rewards you well for your spending.
The American Express® Platinum Credit Card may have a higher annual fee than most cards, but the benefits you get will be more than worth it if you do any amount of travel, golfing or dining out. This is one of the few American Express cards which waives the $40 fee for the Frequent Traveller Option, which you have to enroll in order to redeem points for frequent flyer miles. So if you plan to convert your points to miles, you can count that perk as $40 savings. Add to that savings of up to 50% on dining, the chance to earn up to 10 points per $1.60 spent, plus complimentary green fees at many golf clubs, the $321 annual fee begins to look more like a bargain. That's especially true when you consider that very ordinary credit cards already cost upwards of $100 per year.
For food lovers, there simply isn't a better card out there, in my opinion. This card also scores highly with travel benefits and leisure privileges. If you earn $80,000 or more annually and want to earn rewards on all spending while enjoying diverse dining and hotel privileges, The American Express® Platinum Credit Card may very well be the credit card of your dreams!
See more American Express credit cards.