BestCreditCards.sg's Review of The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card
|Highlights||Credit Card Feature|
|Things We Like||Hassle-free KrisFlyer Miles accruing card|
|Our Least Favourite||No free airport lounge access|
|Our Verdict||Good card that makes earning and redeeming KrisFlyer Miles uncomplicated|
- Earn 1.1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1 spent on all your eligible purchases with your Card.
- Earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 equivalent in foreign currency spent overseas on eligible purchases during June and December.
- Earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on eligible purchases made on singaporeair.com, silkair.com, KrisShop and at SilkAir SkyShop, both in-flight and online.
- Earn 3.1 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on Grab rides, up to S$200 each calendar month.
- Enjoy hassle-free conversion as all KrisFlyer miles earned with the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card are conveniently credited directly into your KrisFlyer account.
- Enjoy up to 50% savings with American Express Selects at a wide selection of restaurants in Singapore and around the world.
- Purchase Worldwide annual multi-trip My VoyageGuard Travel InsuranceSM Essential plan at S$188 (Usual S$299) when you apply for your Card online today!
- Earn 3,000 KrisFlyer miles when you refer a friend! Your friend receives 3,500 KrisFlyer miles. Earn 30,000 KrisFlyer miles when you refer 10 friends! Terms and Conditions apply.
- Be rewarded for your spend on Grab, enjoy 500 bonus KrisFlyer miles* on your first Grab booking.
- First Year Fee Waiver
- Up to S$350,000 Travel Inconvenience & Travel Accident Benefits when you purchase your travel tickets with your Card.
- Emergency Card Replacement within one business day, virtually anywhere in the world.
- Enjoy Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® loyalty programme and a range of exclusive benefits* at over 8,500 participating locations across 150 countries around the world.
- Annual Fee
$176.55 (waived 1 year)
- Minimum Income
$30,000 for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents ($60,000 for expatriates)
- Standard Interest p.a.
24.99% per annum
The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card is a newly revamped Singapore Airlines credit card, replacing The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card. We would like to draw your attention to this card because this card is your easiest ticket to free and cheaper SQ flights. Just by using this card to pay for your daily expenses, you'll easily chalk up KrisFlyer miles which you can later redeem for free flights. Out of the 4 SIA credit cards in Singapore, The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card is the easiest to get your hands on.
In this detailed review of The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card, we at BestCreditCards.sg pick this card apart to find out what it really gives you. If you want to know how this card compares to other miles credit cards in Singapore, and which card will get you Singapore Airlines flights the quickest, then take a moment to check this out.
Things We Like About The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card
Bonus 5,000 KrisFlyer miles. You will receive a bonus of 5,000 KrisFlyer miles the very first time you charge to your card if you are a first time applicant of any co-branded American Express Singapore Airlines Credit Card.
You earn 1.1 KrisFlyer mile for every $1 spent. You won't be disappointed with what this card offers in terms of mileage earning. You earn 1.1 KrisFlyer miles for every $1 charged to this card. Let's say you spend $1,500 a month on this card, you'll earn 1650 KrisFlyer miles monthly!
You get 2 KrisFlyer miles for every $1 at Singapore Airlines. Whenever you spend on eligible Singapore Airlines ticket purchases made directly at singaporeair.com or silkair.com, you earn 2 miles for every dollar you spend. Just charging your flight bookings to this card will score you a lot of miles.
2 miles for every $1 spent at KrisShop and SkyShop. When you buy anything at KrisShop or from SilkAir SkyShop, either in-flight or online, you will earn 2 KrisFlyer miles. So if you like purchasing merchandise from SQ, you can earn a pretty good rate of miles on your shopping.
2 miles per $1 overseas during June and December. It would have been great if the 2 miles offer applied to all overseas spending, but it's still a nice perk as is. When you make eligible purchases in a foreign currency outside of Singapore during June and December each year, you earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every $1 equivalent spent.
You enjoy cheaper lounge access. You get up to 30% off walk-in rates when you visit select Plaza Premium lounges around the world (Changi Airport included) and pay with this card. If you prefer to relax or work in an airport lounge, this perk can save you money. But there are other credit cards that give you free lounge visits.
The annual fee is waived the first year. The $176.55 annual fee (waived the first year) is waived the first year. That gives you time to collect miles without paying for it.
No conversion required for KrisFlyer redemption. This is my favourite thing about this card really. Your miles are credited directly into your KrisFlyer account, so there is no complicated conversion procedure. Credit cards from other banks may give you points of some sort, rather than actual KrisFlyer miles. You then have to transfer those points to your KrisFlyer account, and most banks charge an admin fee for that transfer. Earning real KrisFlyer miles is a much more practical option for those who really want to use the miles as KrisFlyer miles.
Special discounts through American Express SELECTS. As a cardmember, you can get discounts for dining, shopping, travel and entertainment in Singapore and all over the world.
Exclusive Hertz privileges. Anywhere you travel worldwide, you can get discounts and other privileges when you rent a car from Hertz. You'll get a 10% discount on all Hertz car rentals and a waiver of the additional driver fee for one extra driver.
Insurance coverage. Using this card to pay for your travel is a smart way to save money, because you get complimentary travel insurance coverage for trips you pay for with your card.
- Missed connection coverage: If you miss a connecting flight due to an airline delay and are not offered an alternative flight within 4 hours, up to $200 of refreshments and restaurant meals (maximum $400 for you and your immediate family) you have to spend on during your wait will be covered. This only applies to missed connections when you are outside of Singapore, and only purchases charged to this card will be covered.
- Luggage delay: If your checked baggage is not delivered within 6 hours of your arrival at your destination, and you are forced to buy clothing, toiletries and other necessary items, you can get up to $200 (max. $400 for you and your immediate family) of these purchases covered. You will have to pay for your shopping using this card to enjoy the benefit.
- Luggage loss: If an airline loses your luggage, meaning that you don't receive it within 48 hours of arrival at your final destination, you can claim up to $500 of coverage for purchases of clothing and other essentials, up to a maximum of $1000 total coverage for you, your spouse and children. Make sure to pay for your purchases using this card to get the coverage.
- Travel accident benefits: If you are killed or seriously dismembered in an accident while travelling with an airline or other common carrier, there will be a payout of up to $350,000.
Low minimum income requirement. As long as you earn $30,000 or more per year, you can apply for this card.
Our Least Favourite Things About The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card
No free airport lounge access. Unlike The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card (a higher level of KrisFlyer card) which offers complimentary airport lounge access, this card doesn't give you any free passes to airport lounges.
Annual fee for supplementary cards. If you want to add a card to your principal account for your spouse or child to use, you will have to pay an annual fee of $53.50 per supplementary card (waived first year).
How Other Cards Compare With The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card
|Regular APR:||24.99% per annum|
|Annual Fee:||$176.55 (waived 1 year)|
|Regular APR:||24.99% per annum|
|Annual Fee:||$551.05 (inclusive of GST) First Year Fee Waiver|
The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card gives you actual KrisFlyer miles which are credited right into your Krisflyer account, has solid travel benefits and is easy to get.
The best thing about The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card is that it makes earning and redeeming KrisFlyer miles very easy and uncomplicated. After all, the miles you earn go straight into your KrisFlyer account, with no transfer needed or no conversion fees to pay! If you like flying on SQ, have at least $30k in annual income and want to earn good KrisFlyer miles on every dollar you spend on your everyday purchases, then The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card is the card to get.
Click here to go to the American Express website and apply online for The American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card now.
See more American Express credit cards.